Sunday, January 3, 2010

Semester #2 book list

It won't be long until I'm reading till the cows come home, writing papers, and discovering things for the very first time. In case you're wondering, I'm looking forward to all three of the above!

This semester's reading list will include:

Cross-Cultural Connections, Duane Elmer
Ministering Cross-Culturally, Sherwood Lingenfelter
Good Neighbors: Communicating with the Mexicans (reserved reading), John Condon
(Is it just me, or does the above make us sound like ugly Americans?)
Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire, Jim Cymbala
Brokenness: The Heart God Revives, Nancy Leigh DeMoss
Transformed in His Presence: The Need for Prayer in Counseling, Tammy Schultz & Roger Peugh with Deb Nicholas
Journey to Victorious Praying, Bill Thrasher
Prayer, O. Hallesby
They Found the Secret, V. Raymond Edman

But, secretly, I was wishing it would work out for me to dig into theology courses this semester. To jump headlong into the deep stuff, to plow through Systematic Theology I, in the hopes of preparing myself for Sys. Theo II.

On the other hand, Cross-Cultural Ministry and the Principles and Practice of Prayer will most definitely help in shaping my practical theology. They are no less important, and maybe even more urgent than designated theology classes.

And because, transparently speaking, I am one of those individuals who isn't the greatest at Biblestudy unless I have to study to teach it, I believe the prayer class will help me do what I need to do most of all: pray. In addition to the reading and papers, yes, we actually are required to spend time praying.

It's not an obligation in my book, though: I'm being given an opportunity. The following is still true: less than 1% of 1% of Christians are given the opportunity to study God's Word in a formal context. I'm determined to make the most of it--with a grateful heart to carry me through the semester and beyond.

Soon to come: a review of Going Rogue by Sarah Palin. One. Tough. Lady. No matter what you think of her politically, she's definitely recast the mold for females in leadership by breaking a lot of rules and keeping her family commitments intact while doing it. Just finished the book today, and I sit here amazed by what she's accomplished. More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment