Sunday, January 17, 2010

Something spiritual is happening

I don't know where to begin, but nothing this week turned out like expected. I was due to complete one more week of physical therapy for the lymphedema in my leg, and the insurance company, inexplicably, canceled it.

Remember the quote on my blog that said there is no plan B? I told my therapist that Tuesday morning when she showed me a few tips and I said goodbye. Said God must have other plans. And He did.

Later in the day, I received an email from our church saying that someone needed  help, personal one-on-one ministry in a crisis situation. I realized my schedule was considerably freed up, so I called, and the rest of my week was turned upside-down.

There was spiritual warfare going on. My car wouldn't start (never happened before or since) at the most crucial moment. But it sputtered to life on the second try. I saw the Holy Spirit move multiple times, not the least of which is that I had any words to say or wisdom to offer in a situation I had never encountered before. I invited someone into our home. It was messy. It was right. The intention I wrote for New Year's about being willing to join God in his work even when it made me uncomfortable was tested. I was blessed. Any love I poured out in the name of Christ was returned to me.



Sunday school members brought meals, I spent hours conversing with one of God's creatures who needs Him desperately. Something spiritual is happening in our church, walls are coming down, church members are going outside the four traditional walls of worship to carry God's love to unexpected people, places, and situations. And, I for one, want to experience the brokenness I read about in Jim Cymbala's Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire--the brokenness that proceeds repentance and revival. I want to be one of the Jesus-followers who sees God moving and joins Him in His work, no matter the cost.

I long to see hearts and lives healed, flourishing in the freedom of Christ, standing in the dignity that comes from bowing the knee to an audience of One. Something spiritual is happening. And it's very, very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment